Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Downy Dunk questions

  1. #1
    Inactive Member agcollector293110's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 28th, 2005
    Posts
    301
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I used the downey at full strength with no problem and I am pretty sure this is what most people do. I washed and conditioned the dolls hair (Make sure you are careful or eyes and the cloth body. To be extra careful I wrap the doll up in plastic and a dish towel) Then I filled a loaf pan (this seams to be a good size and lets the hair spread out a bit) with downey, as much as needed to submerge the hair. I usually leave her in for 2 hours and every half hour I scoop some downey onto the hair that's higher on her head. When I remover her from the downey I wash and condition the hair again and then I let air dry until the hair is damp. If you want it strait I used a ceramic straitener on the lowest setting and made sure I didn't leave it in the same spot too long. You can also use a curling iron if you don't have a straitener. For my Sammie I wanted curls so I tried using a curling iron to curl it with no luck. Her hair is in curlers now. I put them in with a spritz of Son of a Gun (found in the automotive section of stores like Walmat [img]wink.gif[/img] thanks whoever told me that tip it works wonders) If the hair is really bad you can let the hair sit in Son of A Gun for a period of time and then wash it out after. This can work as a detangler, shiner, smoother, and basically works wonders on dolls hair. Steamers are also great for relaxing hair (do not use metal) I tried working my iron (metal) on her hair from a distance and it was too hot. THe damage was very minimal and I am the only one who noticed it. It is mostly recovered now and once the curls are out it will be as good as new. My album of Josefina and Molly last time is this
    If you have any questions (because I always do) you can pm me!

  2. #2
    Inactive Member jessicasturm's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 14th, 2005
    Posts
    923
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I've also done a duck with 100% downey with no problems.

    As far as resetting curles, it doesn't go well. I steamed Samantha's hair and all the curl came out, and I'll never get back to the same style. I would leave #21 alone (unless she is really really bad) and also Kit alone. Kit's hair is so wonderful the way it holds the bounce and form, it won't be like this after the dunk.

    Stick to the dolls with long hair (and stay away from there bangs, don't steam them!) and only the girls that really need it.

    Jessica

  3. #3
    Inactive Member kitandkat's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 23rd, 2006
    Posts
    949
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    21's and Kit's hair are OK, Kit's is just a little dirty/greasy ish. My friend got 21's fixed nicely (I don't know how).
    Where do you buy the steamer and shampoo?

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Octavias's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 9th, 2006
    Posts
    58
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Can I add a question? [img]tongue.gif[/img]

    I'm doing a dunk today on my fixer upper and I'm wondering does the time you leave it in matter? She's been in there for the afternoon and it doesn't seem to be making a difference on the ends of her hair. It's like straw. [img]confused.gif[/img]
    Will leaving her longer matter, or is she hopeless?
    Out of curiousity, what does the downey do to the hair?

  5. #5
    Inactive Member kitandkat's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 23rd, 2006
    Posts
    949
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    My mom and I are ready to do our first downy dunks soon, on:
    Kirsten
    Josefina
    Marisol
    Molly
    maybe - Cristel (#21)
    - Kit
    I have heard that you mix 1 part downy three parts water.
    I've also heard about the shampoo and steamer.
    Are they necessecary and if so where do you buy them?
    What about girls with curls? (Such as 21) How do you reset the curls?

  6. #6
    Inactive Member kitandkat's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 23rd, 2006
    Posts
    949
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I think the downy softens the hair and makes it easier to brush, like a conditioner for humans.

  7. #7
    T. Lynn
    Guest T. Lynn's Avatar

    Post

    Someone told me about the Son of a Gun product for cars. I was told it leaves their hair with a nice healthy shine.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member ColonialGirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 31st, 2005
    Posts
    226
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by FarmhouseGirl:
    I've also done a duck with 100% downey with no problems.
    Jessica
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Jessica? You downy dunked a duck?
    [img]wink.gif[/img]

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •